Today was rather interesting. Portuguese went well and I'm sure we learned several new verb conjugations...I was sort of day-dreaming. Oops.
French 451 was...well...different. We discussed Bataille...rather, Prof. Olivier discussed Bataille and we all stared at him with blank faces. the new question is: Would you rather be in a continuous or discontinuous state? That's something I'll have to ponder. According to Bataille, I am a discontinous being with the potential to join with another discontinous being and enjoy a brief moment of continuity. And then my child will be a discontinuous product of that moment of continuity. That's what I got out of the discussion. Feel free to correct me!
French 456 was equally enlightening. We watched a brief clip that Mme. Thompson had filmed in Senegal of children in class. It's a different way of learning/teaching, but the children seem like any other children in school. We then discussed chapter 8 of L'enfant noir and the realities of death as a result of circumcision at the age of 14 in a traditional Senegalese ceremony. Naturally, we discussed female "excision" as well. That particular class discussion ended in a sort of awed/dismayed/alarmed state.
I then spent some time with Steve and generall wasted the last hour or two! I think we'll make tacos for dinner and then get some things for the party tomorrow night. And I probably ought to take a look at those verbs I managed to ignore this morning in class...
No comments:
Post a Comment