5.08.2006

Captain Hooty Shoot

I haven't thought about Captain Hooty Shoot in several years...until recently. Apparently my adventures with Captain Hooty Shoot and my friends are buried rather deeply.

Captain Hooty Shoot was the hero/leader of our gang. Well, the leader of a pretend gang of adventurous souls ages 5-12. Our leader was (from what I remember) a cross between a pirate and a sort of Scouting expert. Each adventure involved a lot of outrageous and impossible exploits as well as our very real outdoor experiences. For some reason marshmallows and owls were involved on more than one occasion...perhaps because these adventures were campfire stories told the last day of each camping trip.

The storyteller was Mike B, a friend of my father's from work and a very quirky guy from the South. We camped with his family at least once every summer from the time I was in kindergarten until I was about 13. He and his wife had three kids, Nick (my age), Kayela (my brother's age), and Brian (my sister's age). That made them the perfect camping buddies.

I really wish we'd written some those stories down! They were hysterical...and at times rather frightening. It's nice to be a part of a heroic team by night and a fisherwoman by day.

No comments: