Some of you have already heard the funny little stories from my Friday mornings...but I thought I'd share the most recent comments. I volunteer every Friday morning at 7:45am...which may have a little to do with why these comments are so funny when they occur and not as funny when I finally get around to sharing them with Steve. Generally speaking I work with a couple patients and then go up to campus.
Comment #1: I'd like to kiss you, but I think that might be inappropriate. (an adult male)
I politely agreed that I thought it would be inappropriate and proceeded to leave for campus. (Steve thinks this is the funniest yet.)
Comment #2: I'd like to tell you what I believe. I read the Book of Mormon and nothing else.
He then spent about 20 minutes giving me the first discussion and finished with his testimony. I told him I believed the same things and that was it. Apparently he sometimes thinks he is the Holy Ghost...poor man! He's very quiet, except for that day he decided to teach me something.
Comment #3: (a couple days ago) "Jimmy" has a crush on you! (name changed...)
One of the boys tattled on the youngest of the bunch...while it's amusing to have a secret admirer...an 11 or 12 year old boy is a bit strange. He asks me every week if I'm married, and he knows the answer. :)
Comment #4: So, you just volunteer here? That's nice of you. You're cute.
I suppose this would have been completely benign...but the Dr. had just told this man that if he continued to work out and complete his required PT every week all the girls would go after him.
So, my point is...working with patients at USH is not that different from being in middle school or high school...everyone says what they want and no one cares too much about the consequences...actually, it may be more like BYU after your Freshman year.
If there's one thing I've learned from my years at BYU, my abnormal psych class, or my time working with patients at USH...it's that everyone is basically the same.
Good reading: Myths About Mental Illness, Elder Alexander B. Morrison (Ensign, October 2005)
No comments:
Post a Comment